
Warning: Discussions of tee-tee and poo-poo ahead! HAHA!
Marc and I decided at the beginning of the year to start potty training Aiden. So, on Monday January 4th, we started with the old traditional route of taking him every 30 minutes. His WONDERFUL teacher at school also made a routine of taking him. We worked with this plan for 6 days and Aiden had used the potty ZERO times! Yep, zero. My sweet baby is VERY strong-willed and I learned by the end of the week that the conventional method was not going to work. By day 6 he would lay in the floor, kick and scream if you attempted to put him on the potty!
I had heard great things about Lora Jensen's '3 Day Potty Training', from all places, the Kidd Kraddick Morning Show! So I purchased the small e-book from her website at the end of our unsuccessful week! This woman is the mother of 5 and has fostered 6! So I figured she might know a thing or two about potty training. The first thing she recommends is to stop all potty training efforts so that the child can be deprogrammed. So, we took a break the week of January 11th with a plan to start her program on Saturday, January 16th. I laughed because she talks about the timed method not working with strong-willed children! HA!
With the '3 Day Potty Training' you go cold turkey to underwear, and make a BIG production about it! Then you spend every waking minute with your child for the next 2 to 3 days, focusing on them and their body language, and reinforcing everything with positive affirmation and language. So on Saturday morning, after breakfast, we took off the last pull-up and put on some CARS underwear. Aiden was immediately interested and seemed excited. Then, he and I went to his room and began playing. About 30 minutes into this process, he started to wet himself for the first time. His eyes got really big! So I rushed him to the potty and he went!!! YAY! However, I soon learned he was not emptying his bladder. Over the next 10 minutes we went through 6 more pair of underwear, but each time I would rush him to the potty and each time he would go! WHEW, it was finally nap time. After nap time we started the process over. Same situation, except this time it only took 3 accidents before he finally emptied his entire bladder! YAY, progress! Then after that point, he started going on the first attempt. AWESOME! WHEW, it was finally bedtime.
Lora mentions in her book that it may take younger children a little while before they are able to tell you verbally they need to potty, but they WILL tell you with body language. She also states that by spending every moment with your child during this process, you will be able to read the body language. She was right! This woman is a genius! So on Sunday, we repeated the entire process again and Aiden had an early morning accident; however, I noticed that Aiden slightly crossed his legs and bounced a little right before the accident. With this knowledge, I was able to help Aiden get through the rest of the day with ZERO accidents. Plus, he even pooped in the potty twice!!! (Marc & I learned that we must stand just outside of the bathroom to accomplish this! HAHA!) After this fantastic day, Daddy took Aiden to get a new CARS car. He was so excited and proud of himself.
On Monday, it was back to work for me but Marc took over right where I left off until Aiden went to daycare. I knew that it would probably take a few days for things to carry over at daycare because his teachers would need to learn his signals and trends. So, on Monday, Aiden had 1 accident with Marc, 3 accidents at daycare and zero in the evening with me. Then yesteray, he had zero accidents with Marc, 3 accidents at daycare and 1 in the evening with me. Even though we had one accident last night he hit another major milestone! He told me verbally that he needed to potty!!!!
Finally, today, he only had 1 accident (at daycare) and managed to tell his teachers 3 times that he needed to go potty! What a change in 5 days!!!!!! He has progressed everyday and it has been so cool to watch!
If you can't tell, I would definitely recommend Lora Jensen's e-book! The biggest blessing throughout this entire process was getting to spend so much quality time with Aiden.....everything else had to wait. I LOVED it!
I had heard great things about Lora Jensen's '3 Day Potty Training', from all places, the Kidd Kraddick Morning Show! So I purchased the small e-book from her website at the end of our unsuccessful week! This woman is the mother of 5 and has fostered 6! So I figured she might know a thing or two about potty training. The first thing she recommends is to stop all potty training efforts so that the child can be deprogrammed. So, we took a break the week of January 11th with a plan to start her program on Saturday, January 16th. I laughed because she talks about the timed method not working with strong-willed children! HA!
With the '3 Day Potty Training' you go cold turkey to underwear, and make a BIG production about it! Then you spend every waking minute with your child for the next 2 to 3 days, focusing on them and their body language, and reinforcing everything with positive affirmation and language. So on Saturday morning, after breakfast, we took off the last pull-up and put on some CARS underwear. Aiden was immediately interested and seemed excited. Then, he and I went to his room and began playing. About 30 minutes into this process, he started to wet himself for the first time. His eyes got really big! So I rushed him to the potty and he went!!! YAY! However, I soon learned he was not emptying his bladder. Over the next 10 minutes we went through 6 more pair of underwear, but each time I would rush him to the potty and each time he would go! WHEW, it was finally nap time. After nap time we started the process over. Same situation, except this time it only took 3 accidents before he finally emptied his entire bladder! YAY, progress! Then after that point, he started going on the first attempt. AWESOME! WHEW, it was finally bedtime.
Lora mentions in her book that it may take younger children a little while before they are able to tell you verbally they need to potty, but they WILL tell you with body language. She also states that by spending every moment with your child during this process, you will be able to read the body language. She was right! This woman is a genius! So on Sunday, we repeated the entire process again and Aiden had an early morning accident; however, I noticed that Aiden slightly crossed his legs and bounced a little right before the accident. With this knowledge, I was able to help Aiden get through the rest of the day with ZERO accidents. Plus, he even pooped in the potty twice!!! (Marc & I learned that we must stand just outside of the bathroom to accomplish this! HAHA!) After this fantastic day, Daddy took Aiden to get a new CARS car. He was so excited and proud of himself.
On Monday, it was back to work for me but Marc took over right where I left off until Aiden went to daycare. I knew that it would probably take a few days for things to carry over at daycare because his teachers would need to learn his signals and trends. So, on Monday, Aiden had 1 accident with Marc, 3 accidents at daycare and zero in the evening with me. Then yesteray, he had zero accidents with Marc, 3 accidents at daycare and 1 in the evening with me. Even though we had one accident last night he hit another major milestone! He told me verbally that he needed to potty!!!!
Finally, today, he only had 1 accident (at daycare) and managed to tell his teachers 3 times that he needed to go potty! What a change in 5 days!!!!!! He has progressed everyday and it has been so cool to watch!
If you can't tell, I would definitely recommend Lora Jensen's e-book! The biggest blessing throughout this entire process was getting to spend so much quality time with Aiden.....everything else had to wait. I LOVED it!


2 comments:
Way to go Aidan!!! That's awesome! I loved the Christmas post too. I could just see him checking out all the gifts first and then coming to get you! Too funny!!! Miss you guys tons!
I think it's a sign you're officially a mother when tales of successful potty training bring tears to your eyes! I am so proud of you all for these exciting accomplishments!
Post a Comment